Engelsk media

Diskusjon om engelsk fotball

Topic author
Pink Final
Manchester; football, music, fashion, industry, history
Liker gitt: 27247
Liker mottatt: 17766

Her kommer original teksten!

COMMENT: No more Green ‘Uns, Pink ‘Uns, Football Posts or Echos, and now no more Sports Mails – the end of an era for a paper which once sold 40,000 a week (and that’s when Portsmouth were relegated!)
End of an era - four words commonly chucked around by football supporters of a certain age, so often used they have become cliched. Now I am using them, for the second time within five years in a working capacity, as part of a requiem for something which once formed a vital part of a fan’s life. A football-daft family’s life, even.

In your hands, dear reader, you are holding a collector’s item: the last-ever Sports Mail, the final weekend sports paper ever likely to be produced by a regional daily newspaper.

End of an era? Without a shadow of a doubt.

Once upon a time, there were Green ‘Uns, Pink ‘Uns, Football Echos and Sports Posts in virtually every major town and city in England, Scotland and Wales. On occasions, they sold upwards of 70,000 copies EVERY WEEK. And I haven’t used capital letters for hyperbole, just to hammer home the fact that these papers mattered. A lot.

Generations of supporters waited impatiently to buy one, sometimes less than an hour after the game they had just watched had finished, to read about the game they had just watched; that, and to pore over the scores from elsewhere in the Football League and the bang-up-to-date tables. No internet back then, no mobile phones, no rolling sports news channels, no Jeff Stelling.

Dads would queue for a copy, or send their children - probably their sons, and that’s not being sexist, just factual - to buy one instead. In that way, how many thousands of youngsters were helped to fall in love with the beautiful game?

That was back then, however - way back then, now I come to think of it - and this is now. Back in the day, Saturday evening sports papers were an institution. Now technology has killed them off. Killed them all off.

Back in December 2017, in a former working life, I was the sports editor of the Southern Daily Echo in Southampton when we published the final Sports Pink. First printed in 1898, it went down in history as the longest-running Saturday evening sports paper in Britain.
Image After the Pink’s demise, only the Sports Mail remained, but that wasn’t available in the shops until a Sunday morning. Just a few hours difference, granted, but that mattered.

While the Sports Pink ran for 119 years, the Sports Mail enjoyed a 109-year existence - after first hitting the streets in 1903 - until it was axed at the end of 2011/12. Returning, phoenix-like, at the start of the 2013/14 season with Pompey under fan ownership and a feelgood factor back at Fratton Park, the Mail’s second incarnation took in another nine Portsmouth FC seasons.

To start with, following the Sports Mail’s return, 10p of the 60p cover price was donated to the football club, and in its first two seasons back around £27,000 was donated to Pompey’s academy from an average sale of around 5,000 a week.

As of 2016, the weekly sale had dipped to around 3,700 - a far cry indeed from the 41,000 average in September 1960 (and that was the season Pompey were relegated from the old Second Division!)

You will not be surprised to know that sales of the Sports Mail have continued to fall since then; the fact this is the last ever edition tells you all you need to know. The Mail does not attract bespoke advertising. You don’t have to be the greatest accountant to know the figures weren’t adding up. Let’s be honest, you don’t even have to be an accountant …

To be brutally honest, I was surprised the Echo’s Sports Pin k lasted as long as it did. Ditto the Sports Mail. I was always a realistic sports editor and, looking around the country, realism bit - and it bit hard. All those towns and cities with a bigger footballing history than Southampton - Birmingham (Sports Argus, final edition 2006), Newcastle (Pink, 2005), Liverpool, Manchester (Pink, 2007), Sheffield (Green ‘Un, 2013), Nottingham, Derby, Wolverhampton (Sporting Star, 2009), Edinburgh (Pink) - now all yoked together as places which had long since lost its Saturday evening sports paper. Manchester’s Pink had moved from a Saturday evening slot to a Sunday morning one in 2000, and struggled on for another seven years.

So many others - Leicester (Sports Mercury, 2007), Hull (Green, 2005), Coventry (The Pink, 2004), Aberdeen (Green, 2002), Middlesbrough (Pink, 2008), Bristol (Green ‘Un, 2006), Cardiff (Sports Echo, 2006), Stoke, Ipswich, Norwich (Pink, 2009), Brighton. All gone, never to return.

(Why, Bristol used to have TWO Saturday evening papers - the Pink Un, produced by the Evening World, and the Green ‘Un, produced by the Evening Post. That duopoly ended when the Post gobbled up the Evening World - great name for a paper, the Evening World! - in the early 1960s. Even more incredulously - in today’s internet world, anyway - was the fact the Echo paper in Cardiff used to print TWO editions of their sports paper. The first would be on the streets 20 minutes after the final whistle and include just the first half report from that day’s Bluebirds match. Imagine that now.

I used to say to my colleagues at the Daily Echo: ‘Were all those newspapers wrong to stop their sports papers. Are we right to carry on? Do we know something they all didn’t?’

Of course we didn’t. It was a ‘no’ to all three questions. The Pink was the last Saturday evening soldier remaining on a battlefield littered with many (more well known) casualties. Stretching the war analogy, I always knew we were just one bullet away from suffering the same fate.

Back in the day, numerous bodies ensured Saturday evening papers were rushed out before some fans had made it back to their homes. And, for some, that ‘day’ wasn’t too long ago, not really.

As recently as 2002, I worked on the Bristol Evening Post’s Green ‘Un. Most weekends during a football season we had an office-based staff of around 20 people working on it - plus reporters and photographers at games and ladies - always ladies - taking the running copy from the journalists covering City and Rovers, plus Bristol and Bath rugby.

Compare that with the final weeks of The Pink in Southampton, where there were only two office-based staff, one copy-taker - who wasn’t always needed if the Wi-fi at a non-league ground was working - and just three reporters (two at a Saints game and one at a non-league fixture). Due to cutbacks, quite often the Saints pictures would be taken by a freelance. Taking all that into account, The Pink did well - extraordinarily well - to last as long as it did before taking the fatal bullet.

Here at The News, last season’s Sports Mails saw one person (working from home) involved in the production side of things on a Saturday afternoon - plus Neil Allen writing on that day’s Pompey game with pictures taken by a freelance. Again, compare that to my experiences just 20 years earlier.

Still, as the Yorkshiremen in the Monty Python sketch would tell me, I had it easy in my weekend sports paper production days. When I reported on Nottingham Forest and Notts County for the Green ‘Un in Derby, I had my own dedicated copytaker. And when in the office, computers made things quicker and easier (most of the time). Of course, it wasn’t always like this. Let’s go back further, much further, in time: back to the first decade of the 20th century when Bill Evans took two carrier pigeons with him to cover non-league games in the Plymouth area for the Saturday evening Western Daily Mercury - now the Western Morning News - sports paper. At the end of each half, he would fold up his written report, attach it to one of the pigeons and release it into the sky - hoping it would fly back to the Mercury office. I’d very much like to have seen Neil Allen try that last season, racking up at Pompey games with a basket containing two pigeons and his fingers perennially crossed.

Growing up in the 1980s as an Exeter fan, I still remember stopping off from long away coach trips to the north to buy the Birmingham Sports Argus, the daddy of all Saturday results papers, at a motorway service station. For many of us - those without a radio - this was the first time we could find out scores from other games. Writing that now, it seems like I’m describing a period in the 1930s or 1950s, rather than the mid-80s.

My, how I loved the Sports Argus. For years, it was the largest-selling sports newspaper in Britain. In 2005 it was still selling 10,000 copies a week, but it was still mothballed 12 months later due to losing £100,000 a year. It had lived to the ripe age of 109, but society had long since changed since it first appeared in 1897 with the strapline ‘A journal of all manly pastimes’. Be interesting to see the reaction on Twitter if any publication dared bring that back!

Back in the mid-80s, I was always impressed how action pictures from that afternoon’s games could be included in the Sports Argus. Later, when I worked on my first such publication - the Derby Telegraph’s Green ‘Un in 1994 - I was even more impressed when I was told how it happened - often a photographer giving a reel of film to a ‘gopher’ who would then rush back to the office to develop the images. Compare that to today’s technology, where action pictures from that day’s Pompey game could be on a page within minutes of kick off. Today’s technology IS amazing; it’s just a crying shame it’s helped kill off publications which gave so much pleasure to so many.

Good though the photos were, however, it was always the headlines I loved about the halcyon days of Greens, Pinks and Sports Mails. ‘NON-STOP POMPEY IN WONDER WIN’ from a 1963 game against Leyton Orient, the Blues staging a sensational comeback. ‘Three down - score six goals during 34-minute burst’ ran the strapline.

‘SAINTS ALIVE! IT’S A POMPEY ‘DOUBLE’ screamed another Mail front page headline after a 3-2 win at The Dell in February 1964, the last time Pompey completed the double over their arch rivals.

20 SEC-GOAL MARKED ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP’ was the front page headline on May 6 1950 when a 5-1 Fratton Park thrashing of Aston Villa ensured Pompey retained the First Division title on goal average over Wolves. ‘Villa Foundations Shaken: Crowd Lift Roof’ ran the strapline. Brilliant. A different world, of course, but it’s still great to look back at how society used to be, how newspaper language used to be, when Pompey were the champions of England.

And it’s worth remembering that journalists didn’t have their names printed alongside reports and columns until the 1970s. In the last few years of the previous decade, for example, ‘Linesman’ reported on Pompey, ‘Janus’ on Southampton and ‘Watchman’ on Brighton. Locally, ‘Townsman’ reported on Fareham, ‘Collegiate’ on Gosport Borough. ‘The Turk’ wrote about the Gosport League, ‘Honsec’ covered the North End League, ‘The Scout’ was the font of all Portsmouth FA knowledge and - my favourite - the Dockyard League scribblings were written by ‘Matey’. Who were the real people behind those pseudonyms?

Looking back at the various Sports Mail front pages from down the years, I can’t help but glance down all the league tables and marvel at how clubs’ fortunes can ebb and flow. Take the edition of December 22, 1984, the day Alan Biley’s two late goals gave Alan Ball’s Pompey a dramatic Fratton Park win against Oxford United. Blues were now second in the old Second Division, with Oxford (the eventual champions) fourth. Leeds and Manchester City were fifth and sixth respectively. In the same division were Grimsby, Shrewsbury, Carlisle and Notts County - all of whom have since nosedived into non-league football. A fifth name, Oldham Athletic, will make their non-league bow in 2022/23.

Swansea, Bolton and Burnley - three clubs who have milked Murdoch’s Premier League cash cow - were involved in a Third Division relegation fight. York City, now in the sixth tier, were above current Premier League outfit Brentford. Darlington, Bury and Hereford - three clubs later to sink into oblivion - were among the top four in the fourth tier. What on earth will the footballing landscape look in 40 years time?

Writing this piece has, inevitably, rekindled memories - of papers where I have worked, of people I once called colleagues, of sitting in freezing cole press boxes phoning over copy (and none better than my very first one, a last-minute Notts County derby victory over Forest in February 1994. Look at the gulf between those clubs now). And memories of how newspapers were, when I began my journalistic career in the late 80s, and how they are today. A microcosm of society itself, a different world.

In December 2017, I oversaw the final 48-page Southern Daily Echo Sports Pink. It was, as I said at the start of this article, the end of an era. Now, in July 2022, I have overseen the final Portsmouth News Sports Mail, a bumper 56-page product I sincerely hope you enjoy reading. A paper I’d like to think you will want to keep. And, as previously mentioned, this really IS the end of an era now. The landscape is bare. No-one is left standing. No Greens, no Pinks, no Mails or Sports Echos printed on paper of any colour. Technology has won the war. No more letters pages. Just internet message boards and the often toxic nature of social media. A fair swap? I’ll let you decide.

I grew up eagerly scanning the pages of Saturday evening sports papers in the mid-80s; I was lucky enough to subsequently work on them for over 20 years. I feel privileged to have been involved in little pieces of English sporting social history, and I don’t use that phrase lightly. And at least I was there, right at the end of their lifespan, even if I know I missed out on the golden part of the era by several generations.
post liked by: Pwint
Football Pink Final, Manchester’s saturday Pink - 1904-2000

Topic author
Pink Final

Det er pre PL, det er lørdag, det er ikke tippekamp i dag, og klokka er rundt 15,45.
Du søker på radioens mellombølge på jakt etter stemmen til Paddy Feeny.
Det suser og skurrer, men så blir det klarere - du fant Bbc sports service radio 2 i dag igjen.
Feeny legger ut om dagens begivenheter, hest, cricket, rugby union og rugby league.
Du har hørt dette mange ganger før, men har enda ikke skjønt forskjellen på rugby union og rugby league.
Cricket er klin umulig å fatte, og hest er kjedelig.
Du er på jakt etter fotball, og aller helst Manchester United.
Og der setter Feeny over til en stemningsrapport - den karakteristiske stemmen til Bryon Butler strømmer ut fra eteren, Butler - vi er altså på en arena i syd.
Tilbake til Feeny, og vi rekker en rapport til, Stuart Hall denne gang - ok, da skal vi bli med nordover - er han på Old Trafford i dag?
Nei, han er på Goodison 😔.
Vi får aldri høre live fra 1 omgang, men 2 omgang sendes hver lørdag.
Og selv om vi aldri får vite fra hvilken match, gir den håndfullen med matchrapporter før avspark en pekepinn på hvor vi skal i 2 omgang.
Har du lignende minner?

Bbc sports service blir 75 år i 2023.
Image Verdens eldste sports program så dagens lys 3 januar 1948.
Legenden Pat Murphy har skrevet bok. Image
Før 1948 var eneste kilde til resultater og info britenes klassiske Football Pinks eller Football Greens.
Men fra 1948 ble radioen viktig.
Og vi her på berget som fulgte fotball hadde ikke luksusen av å kunne kjøpe vår Pink eller Green 30 minutter etter kampslutt.
For oss var radioen eneste mulighet til rask info.
Matchene begynte samtidig alle som en.
Pausene varte maks 15 min, og det var sjelden tillegg i tiden, fordi spillerne rullet ikke rundt eller ble ikke liggende om det ikke var reelt alvor.
Derfor var alle resultater fra de fire engelske divisjoner og de tre skotske klare til opplesning av James Alexander Gordon presis kl 17.55.

Murphy tar for seg alle sider ved radioprogrammet regner jeg med.
Sikkert at det i ‘vår tid’ skiftet kanal fra Bbc 2 til Bbc 5.
Jeg håper at vi får bli med til starten.
Det begynte lørdag 3 januar 1948.
Lørdag 10 januar 1948 ble ‘tidenes 3 runde’ i FA cupen spilt.
Aston Villa 4 - Manchester United 6.
Lørdagen deretter ble sesongens toppmatch spilt i Manchester.
United - Arsenal foran tidenes høyeste publikum på en ligamatch i England.

Kjenner at denne boka kunne jeg tenke meg å lese.
post liked by: Belfastboy, Blodfink, Pwint

Belfastboy
Donor
Liker gitt: 13375
Liker mottatt: 5122

Pink Final wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 09:33 Kjenner at denne boka kunne jeg tenke med å lese.
Den høres interessant ut.
Ikke så verst pris heller hos Ark.
https://www.ark.no/produkt/boker/dokume ... 1472994219
post liked by: Pink Final

Topic author
Pink Final

@Belfastboy ja, hyggelig pris.
Og jeg vil tippe mye gjenkjennbart fra ungdomstiden, samt lærerik info om alt man ikke vet om verdens eldste sports program.
(Og et av Bbc lengst levende program uansett sjanger).
post liked by: Belfastboy

Topic author
Pink Final

Alt har sin tid, det er en ende for alt.
Sånn også med de en gang så berømte Pinks og Greens på balløya.
Jeg tror ikke jeg tar munnen for full når jeg påstår at dette forumet har den mest omfattende historie fortellingen om disse avisene av alle forum og supporter klubber i hele Skandinavia.

Vår Pink, altså den fra Manchester Evening News la inn årene for sin lørdags utgave 12 august 2000.
Fra søndag 20 august samme år ble den en søndags avis.
Det ble aldri det samme, og i 2006 forsvant også den.

Her er litt av farvel til Pink Final sakset fra medio august 2000.
Jeg gidder ikke oversette, gjengir på engelsk.

«Manchester will not be turning pink this Saturday evening - nor any other Saturday.
The Pink is dead.
Long live the Sunday Pink.

For decades the Football Pink Final of the Manchester Evening News has faithfully charted the ups and downs of the Blues and Reds and in its heyday, when websites were found only on the fringes of park ponds and Saturday night television reporting meant a talking head, The Pink was mandatory reading.

Students leaving the city for far-flung universities, polytechnics or teaching colleges demanded their mothers parcel up The Pink and send it on so that nothing was missed.
Up to last weekend it was an institution, its glory faded but still much loved and cherished.

Now it is gone, buried a week before a particularly titillating season, with both City and United in the Premiership. It is bizarre timing.

And, even though the soccer fanatics of Greater Manchester have been promised a "fantastic new-look Sunday Pink", it will never be the same.
For Saturday Pinks or Greens or Blues and occasionally Buffs are dangerous animals, produced on a tightrope, with the thrill of the chase from reporter to printing press to shop counter or street corner redolent of thinly disguised panic.

The first place to look is always the late scorers column, for a front-page headline proclaiming "Tense struggle for United" might disguise an 87th-, 88th- and 90th-minute hat-trick.

Football Finals are a modern marvel, with match reports reaching the public not much more than an hour after the final whistle.
Ceefax and the internet may have bruised the magic but a warm Pink 'Un after one's team has won is as lingeringly loving as any other Saturday night caress».
post liked by: Buchan, RedTrafford, Belfastboy, Rød Pølse, Pwint, Blodfink, Beta 2.0

Topic author
Pink Final

Samuel Luckhurst i Manchester Evening News har sagt at avisa hans er «en kritisk venn av Manchester United».
Man kan mene hva man vil om det, jeg synes det er et tåpelig utsagn.

Hvordan verden har endret seg kommer tydelig til uttrykk når man leser om to av de åtte journalistene som døde i München.
Tom Jackson fra Manchester Evening News og Alf Clarke fra Manchester Evening Chronicle.
De hadde sitt eget ‘derby’ hva journalistikk om United angår.
Fellesnevneren var begges store kjærlighet til klubben.
Begge blir omtalt som sjåvinister uten sidestykke, og de skrev det de trodde fansen ønsket å lese.
I dagens kritiske verden ville de neppe hatt en sjanse, nå er det Luckhurst og slike som gjelder.
Men den gang var de flittig lest og høyt verdsatt.
De hadde begge skrevet i rundt 25 år da de døde.
Clarke pleide å si; «Det er bare ett lag i denne byen, og det kan ikke skrives nok om dem».
Noen mente Clarke var forutinntatt, men det var en underdrivelse står det å lese 😅.
Når United tapte hadde han alltid en unnskyldning for laget sitt.
En gang, da United uventet tapte 0-2 mot Hull i FA cupen sto hele redaksjonen med bøyde hoder mandag morgen da han ankom kontoret.
Clarke satte seg ned og begynte på en artikkel om hvordan uflaksen hadde inntatt Manchester United 😆.

Ja, jeg vet at noen som leser dette ikke liker den type journalister.
Og man skal være i kontakt med virkeligheten, det er sant.
Jeg tar det med for å illustrere hvordan journalister og mange supportere har endret seg.
Og hvordan hele kulturen er endret.

David Meek, som etterfulgte Jackson har som mange vil vite fått et eget rom oppkalt etter seg på Old Trafford.
En ære han ble vist i respekt for den fine måten han dekket United på i nesten 40 år.
post liked by: Belfastboy, Pwint, Rød Pølse

Ryder
Liker gitt: 2622
Liker mottatt: 10677

Luckhurst er jo et barn av den nye medieøkonomien, som handler om å skape og drive engasjement gjennom både clickbait og "ragebait". Han snur jo kappa etter vinden og nører åpenbart opp under diverse misnøye han fanger opp på sosiale medier.

Jeg er enig i at det ikke er en lokalavis sin fremste jobb å være heiagjeng, like lite som det er en lokalavis sin jobb å heie på og glatte over for den lokale eiendomsbaronen dersom vedkommende driver på en kritikkverdig måte. Men det går fint an å være kritisk og samtidig være grundig, seriøs og etterrettelig. Det er vel der Luckhurst og dagens MEN først og fremst svikter, mens aktører som The Athletic er et veldig godt og sunt tilskudd.
post liked by: Pink Final, messilingard, Pwint, Belfastboy, Rød Pølse

Bruviking
Liker gitt: 1
Liker mottatt: 126

Luckhurst er en av de mer upålitelig journalistene i MEN, og en svak kilde generelt.
post liked by: Pink Final, Pwint, Belfastboy, Rød Pølse

Topic author
Pink Final

Jeg spissformulerer meg litt med hensikt om dagen.
Kjenner det provoserer når det negative blir nærmest altoverskyggende.

For å understreke - blind fanatisme er ingen tjent med.
Men det er jo oppsiktsvekkende hvordan kulturen er endret.
Jeg tror du treffer bra med Some som en årsak @Ryder.

Når jeg nevner Clarke og Jackson over her så må tiden med pinks og greens legges inn i regnestykket.
De var ikke bare nyhetsformidling.
De var også lokalpatriotisme.
Kanskje på et nivå vi ikke har eller har hatt her i Norge?
Med Bergen som et mulig unntak.
:down: Dette ble for automatisk redigert inn i posten for å hindre dobbel post.
Helt opp til for 30 år siden gikk lokal journalistene i Liverpool by i forsvarsmodus om London pressen stilte kritiske spørsmål til Everton eller Liverpool manageren.
«Du trenger ikke svare på det der» kunne de proklamere på pressekonferansen når London gutta med stadig mer kritiske penner kvesset klørne 😂.
post liked by: Pwint, Belfastboy, Rød Pølse

Rød Pølse
Liker gitt: 9028
Liker mottatt: 8345

Jeg pleier å lese det meste av det som skrives som en slags utilsiktet satire. Da får det i det minste en viss underholdningsverdi. Det er ofte veldig banalt og man lener seg på en type «bransjelogikk» som nesten uten unntak overforenkler. Det meste presenteres i krigstyper for å sikre at man roper høyest.

Vi lever i en mediehverdag der influensere gir helseråd og Kardashians er forbilder. Man trenger ikke like det, men sånn har det blitt.

Som nevnt over her så er The Athletic et friskt pust i en ellers ganske meningsløs jungel av aktører som forsøker å få oppmerksomhet. Her i Norge blir det førstesidestoff når Brautolini dukker opp på landslagssamling med fletter 🙈
post liked by: Andtho01, Pink Final, Pwint, Belfastboy
Football, bloody hell!

Topic author
Pink Final

Artig hvordan noe man liker skal framstilles så negativt.

Jeg elsker pannekaker.
Men jeg liker ikke mel, ikke melk, ikke egg, ikke smør og ikke salt.
Men jeg elsker pannekaker altså.
Bare at jeg vil ha dem naboen steker, for han steker mye bedre enn noen her i huset.
post liked by: Belfastboy, Ryder, Rød Pølse

Ryder
Liker gitt: 2622
Liker mottatt: 10677

Hehe @Pink Final

Eventuelt: Jeg elsker pannekaker, men det er noe alvorlig galt med de vi har fått servert på denne restauranten de siste årene - spesielt i forhold til alle de dyre gourmet-råvarene restauranten skryter av å bruke. Kanskje er det eggene, kanskje er det for lite eller for mye smør? Feil type mel? Kundene er uenige. Men jeg kommer aldri til å gå til naborestauranten, jeg trives altfor godt her og har for mange venner her. Samtidig kommer pannekakene her på stedet aldri til å bli bedre dersom alle sier til kokken at de er supergode selv om alle kan smake at noe er galt... ;)
Last edited by Ryder on 27 Feb 2024, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
post liked by: Pwint, Pink Final, Rød Pølse

Pwint
Donor
Liker gitt: 13479
Liker mottatt: 8638

Ingen tvil om at det er mye som har endret seg både i og utenfor fotballen de siste 20-30 årene, ja. Skal spissformulere litt jeg også @Pink Final (du begynte :D ) Nå er den preget av unge gutter med monsterlønninger og superbiler som foruten fotball har blitt instagramstjerner og lever livet. Det er ikke tøffinger som sklir rundt på regntunge matter, men barn som får hjelp av agenten (eller pappa og mamma) hvis de opplever noe som urettferdig, eller ikke får nok spilletid. :D Ja, jeg overdriver selvsagt, men noe sant er det i det.

Og så er det dessverre også slik at det er noe helt annet å være profesjonell fotballspiller i dag. Lønningene har steget som sagt, og så har nok kravene steget også. Dette er ikke folk som går på puben etter trening, eller tar seg en røyk i pausen, men toppidrettsfolk som må kunne gjøre jobben sin når de er på banen. De må også sette arbeidsgiveren (og fansen) foran egne behov. Det er det de er betalt for. I United har vi, om vi skal tro ryktene, hatt noen spillere som ikke er profesjonelle. Spillere som surmuler, krangler, skaper dårlig stemning og bidrar til en dårlig garderobekultur. Spillere som ikke gir alt på banen, eller som er mer opptatte av seg selv enn klubben. Å være kritisk ovenfor disse menneskene er mer naturlig for meg enn jeg opplever at det er for deg. Jeg selv tenker ikke nødvendigvis at spillerne ER klubben, og at uansett hvor lite de bryr seg, eller hvor dårlig de spiller, så skal man ikke kunne kommentere det. For meg handler det om attitude. Om en spiller gir alt, og jobber fletten av seg, så får han ikke kritikk av meg, men om han jobber sånn halvveis, så vil jeg kunne kritisere det. Alle kan ha en dårlig dag, eller gjøre feil, men når det uke etter uke viser seg at enkelte spillere ikke jobber mm. så blir jeg i alle fall skuffet, og innimellom provosert.
post liked by: Ryder, Pink Final, Rød Pølse
“I don’t play against a particular team. I play against the idea of losing.”
— Eric Cantona

Pwint
Donor
Liker gitt: 13479
Liker mottatt: 8638

Når det er sagt, så filtrerer jeg lett ut kritikk av f.eks. Bruno (som er best, uansett hva resten av dere mener). :D Men av spillerne i klubben i dag, så tenker jeg at det er en del som kan forlate oss uten at jeg faller sammen i krampegråt.
post liked by: Pink Final, Rød Pølse
“I don’t play against a particular team. I play against the idea of losing.”
— Eric Cantona

Topic author
Pink Final

At spillerne’s liv også har endret seg er det liten tvil om.
De har blitt superstjerner som alle vil ha en bit av.
Og det ligger penger i å omtale dem.
Negativ omtale selger best, det er hva folk vil ha.

Vi har spillere som gjør dumme ting.
Det sagt, jeg hopper ikke på alle disse historiene som kommer ut.
Tenker mye er blåst helt ut av proporsjoner.
Synes vel at spillernes privatliv er mindre interessant når det er uheldige sider som omtales.

Mer interessant å diskutere betydningen de har for laget.
Og det kan både være lærerikt og moro å omtale hvordan laget vårt kan fremstå med eller uten spiller X og Y.
Når det derimot blir tydelig at det ligger en agenda bak, da mister man fort respekten for skribenten.
Slik som med eksempelvis Luckhurst, som jeg tenkte på med pannekake analogien over her.
post liked by: Pwint, Rød Pølse